The course will look at the common causes of swallowing difficulties and types of dysphagia.
It will teach individuals how to recognise the commons signs of swallowing difficulties, how to reduce the risk of choking and when to escalate to a specialist.
It will provide participants knowledge on different food preparations and a practical demonstration on preparing drinks of varying textures.
“This was excellent training, trying out all the food textures and learning what textures to use for which clients was very important.”
Dysphagia Training Course Summary
- Definition of Dysphagia
- Causes of dysphagia and common swallowing problems
- The anatomy of swallowing
- How to recognise when someone is having difficulty swallowing
- Reducing risk of choking
- How to deal someone who is choking
- Knowing when to escalate and refer to a specialist
- Privacy, dignity and respect
- Alternatives to oral feeding
- Types of diet and textures of food
- Practical’s in food texture preparation using thickners
On completion participants will have an improved awareness of the common causes of dysphagia.
They will be able to identify signs of people having difficulties swallowing and the correct actions to take.
They will understand their role and responsibilities when supporting clients suffering with dysphagia and swallowing difficulties.
Staff will understand when to escalate and refer to a specialist.
How many can attend training?
We will run this course for a maximum of 15 participants. This class size is limited to allow all participants to take part in the practical aspects of the course.
Who will conduct the training?
Our expert clinical tutors, are either Nurses or Health Care staff experienced in Dysphagia management, with an abundance of clinical and complex care experience and knowledge.
Participants will be issued with a certificate of attendance which is valid for a period of 2 years.